A Nice Overview of a Nasty Toxin Called Mercury

mercury, mercury toxicity, mercury poisoning, amalgam, dental amalgam, neurotoxin, neuro, seizures, convulsions, dentist, root canals, dangers of, extraction, mercury freeSince I’ve been affected by the neurotoxin called “mercury” and have invested considerable time and resources into this topic, it seems appropriate for me to provide some resources here.  I have blogged about my own health issues related to mercury poisoning.  My beloved husband saw my telling test results, witnessed the process of detoxification, and has championed the benefits in improved health that have followed.  Then I realized that there is some background information that I may not have shared with him or in Hope Beyond.  Steve still has questions.  Maybe you do too, Gentle Reader?

Let’s start with a basic video from a scientific perspective of a lab.  Looks like mercury is indeed toxic and gives off dangerous vapors:
 
Now apply the information to a tooth in a human body and the typical scenarios people experience when it is in their mouth.  Note that other studies show body burden increasing within hours not just 30 days:
 
Here’s more detail about dental amalgams, its effects, and how the rest of the world has addressed mercury toxicity; this one is older and a little quirky.  They call for more research (and that research is now available):
 
But how can mercury affect the body?  Here’s another genteel overview from a dentist with some studies cited and an explanation of the general mechanisms of action.  She is one of many, many who have published videos on this subject.  Note the opening remarks about the lungs (which is where most mercury enters the body via vapors):
 
The dentist noted above also has a video series that is well thought out, easy to understand, and contains nice graphics with no hype graphics.
What has been discussed in the videos above is inorganic mercury.  To round out this introduction I must add another form which is “organic” or methylmercury from fish.  Check out this case study from a city devastated in Japan by mercury from industrial waste.  If you watch my videos on YouTube you will see how I can relate to the wretched convulsions of Minamata Disese.  Skip to other videos in the series on Minamata Disease for additional history too:
 
In the future I will chronicle my own discovery of mercury poisoning, the best treatment for me, and how reducing toxicity affected my health.  Just recently I have found that detoxing from mercury is the largest part of my restoration to health.  For the treatment approach that I would recommend as a fellow sojourner (not as medical advice!), please see the Mercury Toxicity Overview  page of this website.
And please be encouraged, Gentle Reader.  We are going to get well!  JJ

Not all goats can be my friend

goatimagesI finally figured out what kept me in neurotoxin distress for the better part of two days:  guyere goat cheese!  Turns out that this particular type of goat cheese is made with microbial rennet.   According to Wiki,

these molds are produced in a fermenter and then specially concentrated and purified to avoid contamination with unpleasant byproducts of the mold growth. At the present state of scientific research, governmental food safety organizations such as the European Food Safety Authority deny QPS (Qualified Presumption of Safety) status to enzymes produced especially by these molds.  The flavor and taste of cheeses produced with microbial rennets tend towards some bitterness, especially after longer maturation periods.[3]

Great.  Cheese that is unsafe in Europe is o.k. in the great United States of America.  I rarely ate goat cheese until I was put on a special diet to control “neuromuscular events.”  The first 3 weeks on this diet have been challenging due to limited and exotic food choices yet it appeared to be helping some.  Then consumption of guyere goat cheese put this mold sensitive gal with Lyme Disease in a neurological crisis for about 5 hours on Wednesday and another 5 hours on Thursday!  I know that I am sensitive to mold but had no idea that I should search for it and avoid it in food.  Lord have mercy!

Today was a recovery day, waking up because of a four-minute seizure attack, difficulty breathing, and a splitting headache in the middle of the night.  Or maybe I should say that after a lot more sleep, today was a recovery day.  Turns out I might not have turned off the wireless router correctly late last night.  Sometimes that bothers the symptoms of Lyme so we always turn it off at night.   I finally started feeling better around 4:30 p.m. after a good cry.  Gratefully my sister-in-law asked to chat on the phone and brought out the best in me; finally showered at 7:00 p.m.  Later I got to meet my husband’s son Daniel’s sweet date, Erin, and have my own date with my hubby to Office Depot and the post office.  This is huge, gang.  Running errands with my buddy is a treat lately . . .

I don’t really blame the goat for this setback.  That scrawny creature didn’t add mold to it’s milk for me to get sick on it.  Somebody out there probably loves microbial rennet.  I’m just frustrated.  Maybe tomorrow will be better.

He’s kinda cute in a way . . .